Cre8tive resources banner
  • Admin
    Here is a sample letter that has been shared that could be used asa starting point

It will be possible for parents to withdraw their children from the teaching of Sex Education (with the exception of that which is taught in the science National Curriculum), but from 2020 will not be able to withdraw their children from the teaching of Relationship Education.
    Attachment
    Example of opt-out Letter (47K)
  • Admin
    Extracts from www.gov.uk website
    VISIT WEBSITE

ic4qpzmxwik843pn.png

Q: Will my child be taught sex education at primary? This is too young.

A: We are not introducing compulsory sex education at primary school. We are introducing Relationships Education at primary, to put in place the building blocks needed for positive and safe relationships of all kinds. This will start with family and friends, how to treat each other with kindness, and recognising the difference between online and offline friendships.

Many primary schools choose to teach sex education (which goes beyond the existing national curriculum for science), and we recommend that they do so, tailored to the age, physical and emotional maturity of their pupils. In those instances we recommend you discuss this with the school, to understand what they propose to teach and how. If you continue to have concerns, you have an automatic right to withdraw your child from these sex education lessons.

Q: Do I have a right to withdraw my child from Relationships and Sex Education?

A: Parents will continue to have a right to request to withdraw their child from sex education delivered as part of RSE in secondary schools which, unless there are exceptional circumstances, should be granted up to three terms before their child turns 16. At this point, if the child themselves wishes to receive sex education rather than be withdrawn, the school should make arrangements for this to happen in one of the three terms before the child turns 16 - the legal age of sexual consent.

There is no right to withdraw from Relationships Education at primary or secondary as we believe the contents of these subjects – such as family, friendship, safety (including online safety) – are important for all children to be taught.
  • Admin
    Here is a good graphic to show the changes on the right to withdraw from Sex Education

81zflars8i1jivwc.png
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the PSHE Academy

PSHE, Careers & CITIZENSHIP topics discussed in this forum. The Forum contains blogs, Q&A, advice and support for teachers from teachers. Links to Free and Paid resources and recomendations.